Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Playdates and Policemen

Today we were invited over to Sarah and Ellis' house for a playdate.  We had a great time playing with Ellis, Blake and Larsen.  After the fun was over I carted the two girls off in my arms to the car.  Madi loves to play with the car keys and as always I let her. I placed Madi in the car with my right arm (keys in hand) then went around to the other side and put Emma in her car seat, strapped her in and shut the door.  Just as I was shutting the door, Madi was hitting the lock button.  So there we were, sitting in Sarah's driveway with my phone, bag, keys and BABIES all locked in the car.  I called 911 and had the police sent over.  While waiting for the Policeman, Madi started climbing all over her seat (I hadn't strapped her in yet).  And finally she managed to step on the unlock button as the keys were laying in the bottom of her car seat.  She was able to free herself and Emma from the increasingly hot car.  Just as we were all settled down the nice Policeman showed up.  I am still a bit shaken, so as a lesson... DON'T let your kids play with the keys as you put them in the car.

 Play_Time_1Blondie little BlakePlay_Time_10Leslie and Madi

Play_Time_018Emma locked in the car

 Play_Time_11  Madi climbing all over her car seat, she was having fun.  I don't think she realized she was in danger. 

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love your blog!!! Those girls keep me smiling and laughing every time I look at it!! They are adorable!! Linda Sutterfield

Zoe said...

Courtney,
A friend of mine did the same kind of thing, she locked her kids in the car when they were about 2. She was crying and really upset. When the police got there the officer was trying to calm her down and noticed a set of keys in her coat pocket. It just got her even more upset.
It's a few years later now so she is able to laugh about it, but it was a scary day.

Take care and I can't believe the girls are so big!!

Carolyn from PEPS