Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Call Me Crazy

I decided to pull the trigger and put the girls into toddler beds.  Yes, I put two 18 month olds into toddler beds, in the same room.  On Monday we went to run errands in Bellevue.  When we got home I gave the girls dinner and let them play for a while.  While they were running around playing I took off the side rails of their cribs and screwed on the toddler rails.  Madeline did great, partly because she was exhausted after not napping well all day, but mostly because she was too scared to get off the bed.  She has a funny fear of heights.  She will hang off the side of the couch shaking from fear that she is ten feet off the ground, when she is only 2 inches.  Anyhow, she didn't move off her bed.  Emma on the other hand, seized the opportunity of her new freedom.  She came to the door crying a couple times but after going in and placing her back in bed twice she gave up and fell asleep.  Night one was a success.  IMG_7069 IMG_7067

Day one of naps on Tuesday was another story.  After playing with the Boyer boys all morning we came home for naps.  The girls both fell asleep in the car on the way home.  I carefully and quietly carried Emma up to her bed, laid her down and watched her rub her eyes.  As I was running back down the stairs to go get Madi out of the car I was thinking to myself "yes, she's back to sleep".  So in I come with Madi all snuggled up on my shoulder.  As I climb the stairs I can hear Emma laughing with delight.  Nope, not back to sleep, wide awake ready to play.  I put both girls in their room and walked out.  Tears and laughter followed so I went back in and silently put them back in bed.  Before I could get to the door Emma was up and running again.  So I decided I would sit in there with them.  Every time they got up, I silently put them back in bed without talking to them.  I meant business!  After almost an hour, I gave up and stuck Emma in the pack n play in the guest room.  They both slept for 3 hours!

Night two was pretty interesting.  Madi found her confidence and now climbs down in a flash.  There was a lot of playing going on but finally after a while they got quiet. Kendra was staying with us and helping out because Daddy is in Alaska, so she went to go check on them and this is how they were found.IMG_7073  Emma crawled in bed with Madi, so cute!IMG_7075

Nap time today, not happening!  Emma was put straight into the pack n play and pretty much spent three hours crying on and off.  Madi did nap but slept in Emma's bed.

Tonight I had my twins PEPS meeting so Kendra got the girls dinner, gave baths and put them to bed.  When I got home just after 8 they were still up playing.  I went in and Emma was sitting in her bed and Madi was either half way in or half way out of Emma's bed. I placed Madi in her own bed and after a tiny fit by her, decided to see what would happen if I put them together.  So I laid Madi down in Emma's bed and laid Emma down right beside her.  Sure enough 20 minutes later we weren't hearing a sound.  I went to peak in, Emma was sound asleep and Madi was scrunched down by her bum, still awake and gave me a look.  A few minutes later, she was out too.  So I moved Madi back up onto the pillow and tucked them in.  I LOVE HAVING TWINS!  It's moments like this that make it all worth it.  IMG_7080 IMG_7083

Next, we are on to potty training!

1 comment:

Boyer Family In Seattle said...

I told you this yesterday but I wanted to write too! This was the BEST post....what a story and what awesome pictures!! You are right something special about twins:) We are SO lucky!! Thanks for taking so many pics yesterday!! Hope you got a few....I have like NONE of the boys:(