Friday, July 18, 2008

Our Babies Turned One! Wow, what a year!

Happy Birthday Girls! Daddy decorated their room so when they woke up they had a surprise. He is such a good daddy.

I can't believe how fast this year has gone. I still look at Madeline and Emma and can't believe I am their mother. And then look again and can't believe what little people they are turning into everyday. They are no longer my tiny little infants, they are children with their very own strong personalities. We are having so much fun with them, I can't begin to put into words the sheer joy they bring us. Everyday I think to myself how lucky we are to have twins, and such beautiful little girls at that.
The minute the girls were born, Chad turned into more of a father and husband than I ever could have imagined or hoped for. He is so good with the girls. They absolutely adore their daddy. They light up when he comes in the room or gets home from work. It melts my heart every time I see him playing with the girls. Thank you Chad for being the most amazing father this past year. I couldn't have done any of it without your love and support. Here's to many more amazing years with our beautiful daughters.
Madeline then

Madeline now
Emma then

Emma now
















Dear Madeline Sophia,

You are my first born girl, born at 8:28 am on July 18th 2007. I remember laying in the operating room with a sheet up across my chest so I couldn't watch the doctors, when all of a sudden I heard you crying. I was awe struck with the thought that I was your mother and you were my daughter. They wrapped you up and one of the nurses brought you right up to my face so I could get a quick look at you. It was love at first site. You were a tiny little peanut weighing in at 4lbs 6oz. But that tiny little body didn't hold you back. You were a fighter from the beginning, breathing on your own and working hard at eating. At one point you were laying on my chest when all of a sudden you lifted your head, turned it and laid it back down. The nurse and I looked at each other in amazement and the nurse said"she's not supposed to be able to do that". So small, yet so strong. When we finally brought you home after 21 days in the hospital, you grew with leaps and bounds. You surprised me with rolling over when you were only 8 weeks old, although I am not sure you meant to cause you didn't do it again for a few months. You began crawling with little effort and were on the move in no time.

I can already see that you are an independent, strong willed little girl. You take time to figure things out and try, try, try again when things are tough. You are so happy playing in the living room all alone with your toys, yet you still love to rest your head on my shoulder when you need some love.

You look so much like your daddy, it is hard to tell your baby pictures apart. Although, you have the most striking, piercing blue eyes. And with those baby blues you look out into this world with such intensity and curiosity. You have the most contagious little laugh, you light up a room when you get giggling. And you entertain us all when you talk with your little gremlin voice, and say "mama".

My two favorite times of the day are when I come in to get you and Emma up in the morning and when I check on you two sleeping at night. In the morning you greet me with the worlds largest smile, showing me all 8 of your little teeth. You hold onto the crib and softly bounce. When we walk out of your room and head towards the stairs you get even more excited. I hope you greet everyday of your life with that kind of excitement. At night when it is time for bed, you hold on to your little lamby blanket so tight and snuggle up for a good nights rest. Without lamby at bedtime, you are lost. But before long you are fast asleep and I get to sneak in and watch you for a few minutes. I wish I could freeze those moments in time. You are so innocent and peaceful.
I love you with all my heart.
Love,
Mommy


Dear Emma Jenkins,

You are my sweet second born girl, born at 8:29am on July 18th, 2007. With the second born status you are more patient. The doctors delivered your sister and you patiently waited until it was your turn. You came out feet first and took a moment to pee on me before you did anything else. It took you a second to cry, which was a little startling but you were okay and with a little squirt of oxygen your lungs were healthy and strong. When they wrapped you up and brought your little 4lb 11oz body to me I was speechless, you looked nothing like your sister. It was quite apparent that you two are fraternal and already were two very unique individuals. From the beginning you were our strong little eater, following your schedule of eating and resting. You spent 19 days in the hospital and were able to come home all by yourself. It gave us two nights alone with just you and we were able to ease into learning how to do it on our own.

From the moment we brought you home you showed us that you had the patience of a saint. So often you were the second to get fed, or to be changed and you would just sit there so peacefully waiting for your turn. You were such an easy baby. You learned how to soothe yourself with your thumb and haven't let go.

As you have grown over these last 12 months your fun, wild and very active side has shown through. While I was pregnant, you were always my mover and shaker, and slowly it began to show again. You could spend hours no matter how tired you were jumping in your jumparoo and exersaucer. Before you could stand you would thump your legs over and over in your crib laughing away before you finally fell asleep. Now you stand in your crib and jump, not bouncy, but jump with both legs for hours. You jump whenever and wherever you can.

We call you our little happy jack, you are always happy and ALWAYS have a smile on your face. You have the world's largest smile, you smile at everyone and make their day. Your daddy loves to make you smile even when you are upset. Your daddy tells you all the time to keep smiling like you do everyday and your life will be a happy one.

You have a natural sense of serenity and peace that I have never seen, and at the same time a strong desire to explore and learn. You love to discover new treasures in drawers, cupboards, baskets, bags, and anything else you can dig in.

You get so excited about what this world has to offer you, so excited you scrunch your nose in delight. You peek at it through your long curling eye lashes with such wonder and amazement. You are a little ham, and love to be social. You are also Mama's little girl. Watching me, waiting for me and when you are tired, reaching for me to comfort you. I hope you will always stay by my side. Keep smiling pretty baby.
I love you with all my heart.
Love,
Mommy

No comments: